Friday, June 17, 2016

A "Pitch Letter" about portfolios

Hello

Do your students display their work to the world on websites?
Students at High Tech High School in California put their work on digital portfolios.  See an example from their collection of portfolios

There are two ways to create portfolios for your students:
  1. Paid Staff person who sets up and monitors the work of each student.  It might cost $40,000 a year to pay an employee to create and maintain a website portfolio for each student at your school.

2. Students make their own sites.  Student get a list of conditions that need to be included in their sites (“digital portfolio”) if they want a link to their site to be listed on the school’s website.

The students would need just a guideline and perhaps an incentive (a letter of thanks or perhaps some extra credit in a class after setting up their portfolio).  Students who don’t know how to create a website could learn from other students.   

I give a free workshop.  I will be contacting you soon to find out when might be a good time to show you or an interested teacher how I use portfolios in my classroom.   I also have stages of the workshop available online

Steve McCrea
Advocate for portfolios.   (954) 646 8246    manyposters@gmail.com
I want to see more portfolios used in schools.   I’ve seen portfolios in California and Massachusetts.  I’m an advocate for Dr. Fischler’s work (I edited a book of commentaries by Dr. Fischler   -- download a free ebook from  TinyURL.com/Fischlerebook).   His work to transform schools will be aided by widespread adoption of portfolios.

No comments:

Post a Comment